Congratulations, you’ve decided it’s time to become a homeowner! Now what?
If you’ve watched any of the many home flipping shows on TV you might think your first step is to locate a REALTOR® and start shopping; well, that’s partially right. Let me walk you through the steps. Today- Step 1.
STEP 1: Your first step IS to find the right REALTOR®. All real estate agents are not the same. As a first time homebuyer you want a REALTOR® who is prepared to meet your needs. Not all agents have the personality best suited to work with first time homebuyers. You’re special, you need an agent who enjoys educating you about the process, who communicates well, is patient and has built a team you can trust to lean on . You need a REALTOR® with the heart of a teacher. How do you know if you’ve found the right REALTOR®? Well…
Your real estate agent will take time to
- discuss the purchasing process.
- introduce real estate terminology.
- describe the many choices you will face.
- provide a basic understanding of real estate loans.
- explain the current real estate market.
- review real estate contracts and addenda before your purchase.
- listen to your needs.
- encourage questions.
- ask you questions.
- help you stay focused on meeting your needs and wants while remaining within your budget.
- provide you with a real estate team of lender, inspector(s), and insurer who are experts in their fields and teachers at heart.
- encourage communication.
- display patience.
- make you feel comfortable.
If your REALTOR® takes the time to do all of this before you write a contract, you’ve found an agent with the heart of a teacher. You’re off to a good start!
Are there other qualities you’re looking for? Let me know! Questions? Ask away! Feel free to send me an email or text if I can help you in any way.
Look for the next post: I’m a First Time Homebuyer. What Do I Do? Step 2.